February 16, 2012

Refulgent Waiting

Over the last hill I finally caught sight of the hangar entrance; here I was supposed to wait for more of my precious time after I had already trekked across the huge field in light of the setting sun in the west. Its rustling leaves were a rich amber color and their strokes against each other sounded like a melody calling me to come over and sit under stretching shadows. Just as I'm about to follow the tree's gesture, a warm embrace of hands cover my eyes. Grins and hugs fill the moment and every trace of my sour mood has been diluted with his contagious happiness.
His bright blue eyes glint in the evening light, past a dark lashes set only on my face, completely captivated. Carefully, thoughtfully I cast down my eyes, unable to grasp that one could be entranced only by the sight of me standing in front of him, just out of reach of his fingertips twiddling at his side. I see him watch my head drop just shy of his chest and I can tell that he knows exactly what I'm thinking. Fingertips carrying my chin towards his face confirm my thoughts. "Sweetie, I love you. Please believe me," he says almost begging and his knees slightly bent with his words. Passion shone through those blue eyes holding my gaze and my heart felt the sorrow emanated from those words; witnessing his sadness was an experience I couldn't bear. Looking deeply into his eyes, trying not to flit my gaze a single inch, I whisper, "I try, I do try every day. And I love you more than you can tell." Each word grew with conviction as I continued on; it was as if I was trying to convince myself of something that I didn't already know.
Then the wind blew past us, my hair grasping out with wild fervor. The fresh air filled our lungs for a minute of silence as inquiring boy took in my reaction to his words. All this wile he had not taken a moment away from my face and it felt like he was drinking in his Last Supper there with me in this serene landscape. Was he getting close to the bottom of the cup? Soft lips caressed my cheek and nose and made their way around the edge of my mouth. I could feel the smile in his kisses; he was teasing me. Tired of his tricks, I pulled away from this teases for an instant, and then crashed into him. Before closing my own, I saw his eyes flutter in pleasure like butterfly kisses when we were young. Warm breath clung to my face while I left the gentle boy take control. Hands on my waist carried me into his chest, so that the little pumps of blood from his heart could be felt through his linen shirt. Polo cologne clung to his shirt and I nestled in closer. He carried my hips farther up his body, and then around his waist I draped my legs, entangling our bodies together. Over and over he kissed me, the thumps of his heart speeding to an allegro echoing in my chest.
Opening my eyes, I carefully pulled my lips from his, inches away I watched him come down from his high on ecstasy we created in these small minutes. Still I held onto his waist and neck as we simultaneously caught our breath. Caught in our gaping stares, I couldn't look away. Relaxing my engaged muscles, I slowly eased down to the solid ground and Troy kissed my forehead.
After all my senses returned, he took my hand and led me to the aureate maple that beckoned to me earlier. Shadows under its limbs reached out more than twice its size; there we sat in the cool and talked of love. I started to believe. Royal blue blanketed the sky with holes to the heavens scattered over our heads telling stories of our past and future. Crickets began to creep out to sing their songs peacefully to the breeze running over the hills and to a resting place. In the distance there were howls of wolves echoing in the air, but as they drifted past I knew they wouldn't hurt me. Thoughtfully, I laid my head down on Troy's chest to dream quixotic wishes. Before the night had completely stolen me away, I could feel an angel tenderly kiss my sleeping eyes.
The next morning's pinks and magnificent golds couldn't stop my tears. He was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment