February 23, 2012

Introductions

"I'm Bridget, but my friends call me Bri."
"Wow, friends already?"
"Oh. Would you rather start as acquaintances, only waving in passing and having conversations limited to class discussions and weather reports?"
"No, no. I like this." His smile uncurled from his mouth after he said this, in deciding thought: to speak freely or wonder over words unsaid.
She saw this change in his face, reflecting the expression over her own features. As is customary during brief silence between strangers--or were they acquaintances? or friends? or...what?--Bri flicked her eyes around the room as if not anticipating his answer and quite content with observing the details of the area in feigned deep thought. She was wondering what words he was playing around with in his head. I bet he's thinking about asking me out, she thought as she glanced past a stain on the floral scarf wrapped around a woman's neck. While casting eyes over a certain insignificant patch of cerulean wall paper, she countered, oh never mind, he probably still likes Claire, I mean he's had his eyes on her for years. What was I thinking? At a gold frame of an abstract piece, but then again, boys change their minds all the time. He's just so cute. 
He spoke in boldness, "Come have lunch with me."
"I can't, I have--"
"Half an hour, that's all I'm asking for. I'll take care of all the details."
"Fine. Half an hour."
Pleased, he nods and waves over a taxi, opening the door for her and sliding in after.

No comments:

Post a Comment