February 16, 2012

Choice

Hand in hand
He took me to the edge of the earth and
He asked me to jump off with him.
His suggestion was quite tempting, but
The earth behind me and the path ahead
Tempted me as well.

The green grass
Underneath my feet was soft, yet
The hand in mine
Testified of a promise;
We'd never be apart.

Lively wind from the South
Facilitated my decision
As he fell off that cliff.

Not a single groan
Echoed in that gorge when he jumped.

I stood and stared for a while,
Frozen in place.
We were caught in a stare
As he fell off that cliff
And we continued until
His eyes blurred into the rest of his face.

For another while,
I sat on that edge just imagining his fall.
Never did a tear escape to fall down my own face.

When the weeds did grow
Around me, I noticed
The earth behind me and the path ahead.
I plucked up each pesky root and leaf,
To throw aside.

I can hear
His voice at my side
As I walk across the grassy patches
Ahead of me.
The ghost of his hand
Is always in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment