May 1, 2012

A Dream (I)

I came back to the classroom with a jolt. On the desk in front of me laid notebooks and piles of sketches. Looking around, I was surrounded by young students, all my sister, Rachel's, age. Chatter clattered around in the air, weaving around the laughter and the grunting of scooting chairs and desks. There was flirting and gossip and tales of the weekend. I smiled when I thought of my memories of fourteen, I cared back then.
Then the teacher strolled in, commanding attention from the students and they quickly sat down in the disorganized desks. Class began and I watched the teacher teach the children, while enjoying the breeze that came from the open window and the chirping birds that rested on the sill. I could smell the sunshine through the cracked door and restrained the passion to run right through it.
An old bell clanged after an hour, calling lunch. The students clambered out the door and into the central courtyard that was bordered by the individual classrooms. Trees dotted the area, with countless shaded areas where the grass was soft and green. Sunlight poured into the enclosed space through the carious tree limbs, softening the light that dusted our brows.
Leisurely, I walked over to a nearby picnic table and sat down, carefully setting my things down in order. I ate my lunch contently, watching as the people passed by in the shaded light. As they would pass, I pictured a runway with perfect lighting and a slight breeze running through their hair, with expensive fabric clinging to their figures; I usually got my inspiration during lunch.
Then he sat down in front of me. We smiled shyly at each other, but I quickly looked back down, too embarrassed to glance any longer. His face was imperfect, yet charming with sparkling blue eyes. I'm a sucker for blue eyes. He had light brown hair that cleverly framed his face and that day he tastefully wore a gray hat. At that moment, I was very engrossed in my plum and how the juice dripped down my mouth, hopefully not making a fool of myself. I only looked up a few times to quickly soak in his loveliness. He smiled while he ate, if that's even possible.
"Charis, your mom's here," announced Nandini, a friendly girl I used to know.
My mom looked prettier than usual. She waved to me as she passed, with a sly smiled spread on her face. I waved back and continued to watch with a small wonder as she walked over to the main office, clear on the other side of the courtyard.
Absentmindedly, I began to pick up my things and managed to knock everything off the table except for my lunch. The boy rushed to his knees beside me to help with my clutter.
"Thank you," I said briefly holding his eyes with mine. Silently he smiled and continued to pick up a few pencils.
Handing me my things, he said, "It's a wonder your lunch was the only thing that didn't fall."
"Yeah." The conversation felt meaningless, but I was glad we were talking.
He grabbed me into a sloppy hug, with arms flailing, but it felt nice. Then settling into the embrace, I leaned further into his chest, but he pulled me in and I felt his heart beating strongly in his chest. "You are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen," he said.
"You're not so bad yourself."
"What would you say if I told you I loved you?" His eyes were shining like there were little silver flecks caught in his eyes, glittering in the rays of sun.
"Well, I would ask you how you knew that."
"Hmmm. That's a pretty valid question." He paused. "Do you love me?"
Those last whispered words cued my heart to pound hard against my ribs.
"Just think, if he hadn't sat in front of you to eat his lunch, you guys wouldn't be having this moment," interposed my mother. We looked at her and she grinned when she walked back to her car.
We looked after her for a few moments, because she was beautifully outlined in the gleam of the sunset. I sighed at the magnificence and he thoughtfully ran his fingers through my hair.
I then gathered all my things together and he took my lunch in one of his hands. Naturally I leaned into his shoulder, as he gently grasped my waist while we walked. Leading me to his car, I could feel the gleam on my shoulders and my fingertips. And I could feel it in my eyes too.

Part II: http://life-passion-love.blogspot.com/2012/05/dream-ii.html

No comments:

Post a Comment