May 3, 2012

Dancing With Another

Muslin draped from the center of the dark ceiling to wrought iron pillars similarly wrapped in ivory fabric and lit with twinkling lights from the inside. A tent-like shape covered the middle of the dance floor and stray tendrils extended across the rest of the gym. At the center was a sparkling silver chandelier glinting in the low lighting. Off to the side was a slightly raised table with sleek equipment sitting in plain sight; there the DJ's heartily encouraged the crowd and played songs for us to dance to. I'm standing next to my date with hair tousled from perfection by free-spirited dancing and quick movements. On the ground next to me are bobby pins shed from my hair and bent from use. Caroline bent down to pick one up, but gave up when pins continued to fall out--I could only smile at her amiable thoughts of me.
"C'mon boys and girls, it's time to salsa!" invited the DJ as Latin rhythms began to weave themselves among the occupants of the floor. Caroline's skilled date leads her away to dance, while I stay standing by my date, but Jacob can't dance more than swing. "Can I steal your date awa from you for a dance?" continued the boy across from me, leaning towards Jacob.
"Sure."
James offers a hand and we step away from him and Mekinzee to the middle of the floor. He begins to move and I stuggle to follow along, pathetically glancing down at my feet ot catch the rhythm of his steps. After many measures of fighting to match steps, "Let's freestyle," he says and twirls me around his body and I start to settle into a niche of seamless phrases. An extensive pirouette grabs me into the music and landing back into Ethan's arms brought our faces close. My heart beats along with the melody. Hot breaths whisper against my cheek and I wonder if he can feel mine. Three steps to the right and we circle tightly, allowing me to sight our curious crowd of Mekinzee and Jacob. There's sweat pressed against my long dress and warmth pumps through my hands and fingertips. He guides me with whispered instructions and skillful hands taking me along with his body.
I ride on his hip into my imagination where dreams unfold and live to come true. Slowly everyone around us fades away, even the love standing by the pillar watching me with awe. Ethan's face is indecipherable and I wish I knew what he was thinking and if having me in his arms me him as happy as having him in mine. "You're really good," he tells me as the notes come to an end.
Excitedly anxious comes my date out of the corner to congratulate Ethan when we separate. "That was awesome! You gotta teach me how to do that!" He wishes he could that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment