March 9, 2012

Overestimated Perfection (III)

(Part 2: http://life-passion-love.blogspot.com/2012/03/overestimated-perfection-ii.html)

Careful contemplation bore these words: "I was married when I was 19." Why this information flowed from my commonly cautious lips, I couldn't tell you in detail. His presence affected me, not an infection that took over the body, but the mind and the deepest conception of the heart. Confusion of feelings and thoughts blended throughout my being. Only the words of a secret born in the mind caused my conversion, a conversion I had wished to avoid to pair with the transformation of figure and features. To pair this order of impetuous actions and events could cause a destructive poison to lace itself among the blood running through my veins, but I kept talking, "His name was Troy."
After indulgent inflection, I looked up at his face curious of his reaction. The shape of forehead, mouth, eyes, brows, all held the price of my utterances. His reaction wasn't extreme and I half expected him to something unfeeling to renounce the enormity of my reveal.
"Married, hmmm." His lips pressed together as if to hide something maybe, or keep himself from saying something he'd regret. What he would regret, I don't know and would not let myself guess.  "So I'm guessing it's safe to say you're not together anymore?"
The shape of my mouth formed something like a grimace and an entertained smile. "No, we're not."
"You were in love with him and he left you, didn't he?"
"Why would you think that?"
"I can see it all over your face."
"Good thing or bad thing?"
"Well, you're beautiful no matter what emotion you express."
I looked away in disgust. "I meant that you could read me so easily."
"In that case, I persist in my answer. I have a talent for understanding the thoughts of others and I think yours are wonderful."
"And so this is where your curiosity is born, I'm guessing?"
"Yes. But enough of me, I owe you for sharing that..." he paused to find appropriate words to form his thought, "piece of your memory."
"Oh yes, the price." I had not thought through the consequence clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment